Posts for: July, 2019
Dentists everywhere partner with their patients to avoid tooth loss. However, on occasion, dental extraction actually improves oral health and the prospect of a long-lasting, attractive smile. Your Longwood dentist, Dr. Ilya Freyman, performs comfortable tooth extractions and replaces teeth as necessary. What are the signs you need an extraction?
What is a dental extraction?
It's the in-office removal of a tooth--either a baby tooth or an adult tooth. Highly-qualified and experienced providers, such as your Longwood dentist, perform all aspects of the procedure in their offices. From visual inspection to X-rays and other modern imaging to extraction, suturing, follow-up, and tooth replacement, your extraction will happen quickly, painlessly, and likely without complication.
Whichever kind of procedure you have, Dr. Freyman and his team will instruct you on complete after care, making your recovery as comfortable and complete as possible. Also, you will discuss tooth replacement options as your case warrants. Some situations, such as dental implant placement, may require site preparation with bone grafts.
Signs you need an extraction
When you come to Dr. Freyman's office, he'll perform a complete oral examination and X-rays. He'll also review your medications, medical history and of course, any symptoms you may have.
Signs which often warrant a dental extraction are:
- Deep decay
- Dental abscess or infection
- Tooth impaction (for instance, a wisdom tooth may be surrounded by gum tissue and/or bone)
- Deep dental fracture due to oral trauma
- Weak tooth structure (a congenital peg-shaped incisor)
- Baby teeth impede eruption of adult teeth or interfere with orthodontic treatment
- Teeth block radiation therapy for cancer
- Severe pain
- Jaw swelling or stiffness
- Advanced gum disease (teeth can be loose because of periodontitis)
- Failed root canal treatment
- Deep breakage, including root fracture
- Excessive wear due to advanced age
You're in good hands
Dr. Ilya Freyman in Longwood, FL, has extensive training in complex dental procedures, including oral surgery. So, whatever the reasons behind your need for dental extraction, rely on his expertise and compassionate care. If you're concerned about the health of a tooth, or have questions about an upcoming extraction, please contact the office for a consultation: (407) 260-0224.